Skip to main content

How to Play the Bansuri??

Is it not amazing, how a small piece of bamboo, with lots of holes on it, can be used to create music so divine and peaceful?? I sometimes just cannot stop thinking about those people, and their level of intellect, who first discovered music, the notes, and all those combinations. How were they able to do it?? Who taught them?? We might not have answers to all, but, whatever it is, it is mesmerizing.

Let us push the boat forward in the ocean and know the first practical lesson on Bansuri playing.

I have not learned anything directly from a Guru so whatever I know, is from my own mistakes.

To begin with, let us learn how to hold the Bansuri.

If your fingers are decently long, i.e. of medium length, you would be able to hold the G Natural Meduim Scale flute comfortably. The most used fingering technique is the one propagated by the legendary Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi0OyHx4dc3FCzXBv7l4W0SFsuFrVzxhSr3TUZcFn7it1_ihAyo-v9ARTLzpQdItCUZzGg8_VpfJG0zvxid_aNS_GFa6qCd9GXIRebLrPMgQ4mgKg13aSP-_QErvMTmk14j8jRPvVSkJe0/s1600/hari-367902_535x520.png

You can easily notice that the holes of the Bansuri are covered with the pads of the fingers and not the fingertips. Also note the thumb position which is very essential to support the Bansuri while playing notes in quick succession.



















Try to use the finger pads rather than the ridges on the fingers. In the above figure, notice how the third finger is placed. It shows the third finger is covering the hole with the pad and not the tip/ridge of the finger. I personally have experienced that the third finger should be taken a little back more so that the pad under the finger tip is used. Notice the below figure.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhH2NrhBiJyvhQVpG9l0o7_l6q1xT-9ctfz-dpTLz0olpb53FqrVJyVcacY2IJkw_s_3uAgBlFLUcWw12opjHEDG7H2MRXqGKT984bTgAqje3OLCu8xFH9y9NJHbXqexK636UmP-7pIpb8/s1600/Picture+1.png


If you feel that your fingers are short, then you need to start with a small Bansuri than G scale. Probably you can start with C or A. Your fingers will become flexible over time with persistent regular practice. Trust me. My fingers used to pain too when I started a couple of months back. But now, its very much comfortable.

Well, after learning the fingering comes the blowing. This is the most crucial part of all. Perfection in blowing is the key to Bansuri playing. You would find numerous good videos on youtube that can help you with the first blowing lesson in Bansuri. Please find the links below.

http://youtu.be/vWWAgCjAQvI
http://youtu.be/c_28Opu-w5k

Whatever I have written above is available on the internet. What is not available is, the mistakes that I made and how I overcame them.

First mistake that everyone will face is impatience. After you start producing sound from your Bansuri, you will quickly want to start playing. You will not wait to notice that the key to playing the Bansuri is not the ability to produce sound but, the ability to produce the perfect sound. So please please please be patient. Even if you can produce good sound, stick with it, go on practicing it.

You will come to know whether the sound you produce is perfect when: 1) You stop producing the hissing sound while blowing. 2) You can prolong that sound for longer duration with the same intensity. 3) Clarity of your sound. It should be crystal.

Also, try to first produce the sound without covering any holes. Do not rush it. Once able to do so, we can start with Sa as in the above videos.

Second mistake is, once you start playing the notes, the simple Sa Re Ga Ma, you will place your fingers with a little force while playing. Due to this, your blowing hole will get shifted. You will not even notice this initially. So you will think you are blowing wrong and will exhaust your lungs without any reason. Be gentle. We don't need to rush. Produce one note in one breath. Its fine.

Do not tilt your head too much downwards. Try to keep your head facing front. Lift your hands a bit if need be. Always keep your back straight. It will help in filling the lungs more.

While playing, you might feel pain in shoulders or back. This is because, unconsciously, your muscles become tensed when you start playing. Pay attention to it. Keep them relaxed. You will be able to play longer if your body is not in pain, that is obvious.

Play with closed eyes. This helps in two ways. One, you will be able to listen to your own music. Two, your brain will start guiding your fingers to the right place, which is what we want. Both these points are of most importance. If you can't keep them closed, then, practice in front of the mirror, it will help your fingers in finding the holes.


Well, I think this should be enough for you to start. Do let me know in case you have queries in this part. Will surely try to help you out.

Lets keep playing.

Thank you for providing your time to read this.

May music bless us all..

Cya Soon.

Ninad.

Comments

  1. Namaskar Ninad. Thank you so much for posting. I have started holding the flute and trying to get the basic sur. Working out on my madhya saptak sur. When I do PA DHA and NI, it sounds as if the sur are from Mandra Saptaka.. the lower saptak. How do I make it the madhya saptak sur? Can you please guide me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaskar Sagar..Sorry for the delay in replying..I asssume that when you are playing Sa, you are closing the first 3 fingers only..Now, just to re-inform you, Pa is played by closing all the 6 holes of your Bansuri..To produce any higher Saptak sur, the air-blow that comes out from your mouth needs to be more sharper..In order to do that, try to keep the gap between your lips smaller than blow..do not force to much air..once the gap is reduced the flow will become sharper automatically..Also, do let me know the scale of your Bansuri..It is better to start with G Natural Medium or C Natural Medium..Try this technique..Do let me know if you still face difficulty..Practicing more and more will automatically show results..Do not expect regular improvements so soon..it is a tough instrument..Regards..Ninad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaskar Ninad. Its good to see your reply and its ok it was late. I wasnt even expecting that you will reply, so its a pleasant surprise. Thanks :)
    I am using G Sharp (I guess Kali 4) Bansuri and I am playing Pa keeping all 6 holes of bansuri closed. Now when I do it, it creates a sound. But I feel its the Mandra Saptak Pa and not Madhya Saptak Pa.
    As I understand from your post that I should try keeping smaller gap between my lips and try. I have been working on it and lets pray and hope to get some results soon :)
    Yes, its a tough instrument.. lol.. Tougher than I expected it. But I love to play it, whatever sound it makes :)
    Will let you know in a day or two how this technique is working for me.

    Thanks again.. take care.
    Namaskar /\
    Sagar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Namaskar Sagar, Hope the technique is working for you..Also, please be aware of your finger positions while playing any sur..It has happened with me that the fingers are not properly closing the holes and I think that the blowing is wrong.. Second thing is that your lungs will take time to get used to Bansuri playing..Playing higher notes requires more air and powerful lungs..It is better to play Sa to Ma in one breath and then Pa to Sa' in another breath..if you still face problems than play 3 notes in one breath..gradually by practicing alankars and paltas you will get trained..

    Do keep me updated on the progress.

    All the best..

    Ninad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Namaskar :)
    Thank you Ninad. Yes, I also felt that one time when I placed my figures wrongly. I am still practicing on fingers exercises so that my ring finger reaches Pa. lol
    I will keep your advise in your mind.
    Alankars is yet a long way i feel. But I will work towards it, with blessings from experts like you.
    Thank you again :)

    Tc
    /\
    Sagar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    For best music samples and loops
    on Indian Flutes visit mangoloops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all my pleasure...

      Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ninad,
    I am also planning to learn flute on my own,
    I know it is going to be tuff for a person like me, but I would not quite before try.
    I do have some doubts....
    first thing that I bought my first flute from a street vendor, and he showed me how to blow it initially, and I tried that,
    it was working fine for me. But my ears are not as experienced to tell that which flute I am trying to play, or if the sound is perfect or not( as from your description, I am able to play sound without any much effort and hissing sound for a long time with some of my technique). Should I worry that, if i have not start playing with the correct flute, my ears will be tuned wrong for that sound, as I am unable to notice deference.
    second thing...I normally covering all holes with upper division of my finger, I mean all holes.., so is it not a good practice, or it depends on individuals?
    Thank you very much for the useful post...hope I can continue and learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vijay,

      Extremely sorry for so much delay in replying.

      Let's get straight to your doubts(if they still exist):

      1) If you are serious about Bansuri, please purchase from a reputed seller. As I have already mentioned, listening is very important for music. In fact, for everything in life. Well tuned and perfectly crafted flutes will be easier in playing and they will also teach you to feel the Sur perfectly.

      2) It is good if you are able to cover all the holes easily with your upper part of fingers. However, that is not the only objective for using the middle pads. When you start playing advance alankars, paltas, or ragas, you will need to move your fingers with varying speeds. During that time, I have found this fingering technique to be much more helpful.

      In the end, the ease of playing at all levels and the perfect Sur are the only two criterias to be matched by any technique.

      Do let me know in case you need any more help.

      Delete
  10. Hi .

    I wanted to know is playing the flute more meditative than playing the tabla.As I am confused between learning to play the flute or tabla,but if I learn I want to sorely practice it for meditative purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The First Sur On Your Bansuri

Summers are picking up here in India, and so is the heat. You do not feel to do much now in this season. You just want to lay around, being lazy. Well, hopefully, my previous posts have been useful to aspiring flautists like myself. Today, I shall share with you how to produce the notes. One of the most important lessons as far as any musical art is considered. What is an octave??? This word is commonly used in the western music. We use the word Saptak in India. So what is a Saptak after all?? A Saptak can be defined as a set of all succeeding notes starting from Sa. Hence, none of the notes are repeated in a Saptak. There are three main octaves(Saptak). Mandra Saptak ( Lower Octave) Madhya Saptak (Middle Octave) Taar Saptak (Higher Octave). Uptil what notes and octave a performer is able to perform is known as his range. For Hindustani Sangeet vocalists, the range is around 3 to 3.5 octaves. For instrumentalists, this range is dependent on the instrument. Bansuri has a

Bansuri The Instrument

I was thinking today to start this post in a different way. Always starting with a 'hi' or a 'hello' sounded more like an email. Isn't it?? Another dilemma haunting me was, should I post about basics of Indian classical music first or about Bansuri the instrument itself. Than I thought starting off with the instrument would be a nice idea. So, here we are. Lets see, hmmmm... Bansuri as you all know is made up of bamboo wood and is one of the oldest musical instruments known to humans. It is found in many civilizations. Hence, it has many different versions or types too..Irish flute, Indian flute, South Indian flute(Venu), Chinese flute etc. Indian Bamboo Flute - Bansuri Irish Flute South Indian - Venu Chinese Flute Dizi All of the above flutes are played transversely, but, there are flutes which can be played like a whistle, in a straight way. Straight and Transverse Flutes The instrument that I am learning and the one a